Cheap Interior Doors in Brooklyn, New York
The homeowners in Brooklyn always want to have high-quality repairs and reliable doors in their homes. We recommend to decide on what type and design you need before buying on order not to miscalculate with the choice of interior doors. You can find all the necessary information for the selection of inexpensive but high-quality doors in this article.
What are the characteristics of choosing an interior door?
Design and materials
Before you buy doors to an apartment, decide on the design of the premises. Already starting from a certain style, you can choose a door made of natural wood, MDF, glass, PVC, chipboard. It is not necessary for all doors to look the same, but it is important that they harmonize with the environment and do not introduce dissonance into the room.
Weight and strength
The strongest and most durable are undoubtedly noble wood species (apple, oak, wenge , walnut). But get ready for the fact that such material will be heavy and will require careful care. Therefore, it is more appropriate to put such doors in an office or library. You should also consider the width of the passage. Due to the weight of the solid wood, doors that are too wide will be cumbersome. So it is easier to install two slabs rather than one. For the bedroom and nursery, it is better to choose lighter models, for example, from veneer. Even a child can cope with them, plus the coating with natural wood looks very impressive.
Resistant to moisture and mechanical damage
For bathrooms, kitchens and toilets (and all areas with high humidity), laminate surfaces are recommended. If there are children and pets in the house, then it is wiser to take a veneered door, where any damage can be easily eliminated.
Good sound insulation of rooms is also important. PVC has poor sound insulation, because it can resonate. But MDF, due to its internal cellular structure, absorbs sound well.
Thermal insulation properties
Thermal insulation is most relevant for private houses with autonomous heating. Here you should give preference to natural materials. For example, doors made of solid wood or MDF with veneer coating. If your choice fell on plastic doors, pay attention to the number of internal chambers. There should be at least two of them, and the more, the better the thermal insulation of the room will be.
Pros and cons of MDF materials
Among inexpensive materials for interior doors, the most popular are MDF coated with laminate, as well as plastic doors. An MDF door often consists of several layers. The inner layer is a honeycomb filler made of pine beams or solid timber. The outer layer is a fine fiber board made of pressed wood fibers plus veneer or plastics.
Advantages of MDF:
- combination of strength and lightness of construction;
- environmental friendliness (do not contain formaldehyde and other toxic compounds);
- moisture resistance.
Depending on the finish, two subtypes can be distinguished: veneered and laminated doors.
It is a thin layer of natural wood, and the laminated covering is a film made of artificial materials.
Pros of veneering:
- environmental friendliness and beauty of natural wood;
- impregnation with special compounds that protect the product from moisture and high temperatures;
- the uniqueness of the wood texture (you will not find two completely identical doors, since the pattern of the wood is individual, like fingerprints);
- veneered slab look does not differ from solid wood doors, except for a lower price and lower weight;
- easy to restore (if damage has appeared on the door, it is enough to replace the veneer with a new one).
- small differences in shades and patterns of natural wood will not allow achieving one hundred percent uniformity;
- if the recommended room humidity and temperature are not observed, deformation from moisture or fading from direct sunlight may appear over time.
Pros of lamination:
- thanks to the artificial covering, you can imitate any kind of wood (wenge , birch, oak, etc.) and give them any shade;
- the film also plays a protective function, increasing resistance to moisture and ultraviolet radiation;
- with an external resemblance to veneer, laminated flooring is cheaper and has many color options.
- laminated doors cannot be restored. If damage occurs, you will need to replace the entire door.
PVC doors (plastic)
The PVC used for door panels has a smooth texture that is cool to the touch.
Pros of plastic:
- PVC is a non-combustible material that can withstand the action of alkalis and acids;
- resistance to environmental factors (moisture, ultraviolet);
- cheap materials;
- ease of installation;
- moisture resistance;
- undemanding care.
- PVC deforms when exposed to temperature, so such products cannot be installed near a heater or near a stove;
- plastic as interior doors looks unpresentable, it is more appropriate to use it in retail premises than at home;
- plastic is a fragile and inflexible material that cannot withstand heavy loads.
As you can see, each type of door has its own advantages, and, depending on your goals and budget, you can choose a good version of the canvas for interior doors.