Windows And Doors Care & Finishing
Wooden windows and doors create a cozy atmosphere in any time of the year. They contribute into keeping a pleasant indoor climate and protect the premise from noise and the external environment. Wood units have natural thermal insulation properties and are superior to other designs. From an environmental point of view, wood is the most optimal material for the production of window and door structures.
Wooden windows and doors:
- are durable and provide excellent protection
- provide the broadest possibilities for decoration and design
- create a healthy indoor climate
- allow you to save energy and costs
- provide a positive eco-balance
Environmental factors (sun, wind, moisture, temperature changes), as well as possible damage to fungus and mold, make a constant load on wood. To protect your wooden windows and doors from the influence of these factors and to prolong their service life, proper surface treatment and care is necessary.
Not everyone knows that interior door requires a reverent attitude towards it. We constantly open and close them, slam them hard and just accidentally touch them. As a result, the door finishing is covered with dirt and scratches.
In such a situation, caring for interior doors is necessary. This is the only way to preserve their appearance. In general, the process is not very different from caring for windows, but there are some peculiarities depending on the type of door.
Timeless classics – wooden doors. They are durable, but very selective in care and are not friendly with harsh detergents, brushes and hard sponges. However, a special detergent for wood is quite perceived.
A more severe old-fashioned method of cleaning with alcohol is also relevant. To do this, you need to make a water-alcohol solution in a 9:1 ratio.
If the door covering has lost its aesthetic appearance, you will have to resort to soft sanding of the damage. Then cover the surface with wax and rub in until a uniform shine appears.
Veneer doors also do not tolerate harsh abrasive cleaners. Soft products with a solvent in the composition will also not last long – they cause scratches. Ideal caring for interior veneer doors is a regular wiping of dirt and dust and periodic cleaning with a detergent.
To restore minor defects and make the door shine, a polish containing wax is suitable. Thanks to this, the barrier function of the coating is improved and microcracks are filled, and the doors look “fresh”.
A PVC interior door is the most profitable option in terms of care. To clean the surface of such doors, it is enough to take a rag and warm water with the addition of detergent. But harsh cleaning products are also prohibited.
And in the fight against damage, you will need a special putty paste. It will fill in chips and cracks. And a regular stationery proofreader will do will fit for small scratches.
Aggressive effects of chemicals and abrasive agents are not suitable as caring for interior doors with laminated coating. Here, a good cleaning agent will be the water-alcohol solution, which we mentioned earlier.
Use a wax pencil to hide minor imperfections in laminated doors. When heated, it easily fills cracks, but does not completely “cure” them. Though makes them as invisible as possible.
As you can see, caring for interior doors is not very difficult. It is only important to know the rules here. Also, do not forget that the doors need stable adjustment and lubrication.
What you need to pay attention to when installing wooden windows?
To properly install a window or a door and not damage the coating, you need to consider the following points:
- Protect the window surface from contact with plaster, mortar and screed. Technically, the most optimal solution is the use of special lighthouse plaster strips, to which a protective film must be glued.
- If there are no plaster strips in the window installation technology, then the protective film must be attached with adhesive tape. Use only special tape as an adhesive tape. In this case, the maximum contact time of the tape with the window surface is 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, the tape must be carefully removed, and sharp objects must not be used.
- During the installation and finishing work, do not allow condensation on the inside of the window under the film. For this, it is necessary to set the “slot ventilation” mode of the fittings.
- Ventilate the room from building moisture to prevent damage to paintwork and wood. When carrying out construction work in winter, combine room heating with ventilation. When plastering and laying the screed, ventilate the premise several times a day.