Five tips on how to choose a door by color
The decorative function of doors is one of the most important. Choosing beautiful doors for the interior has become easier with the increase in the range of such designs. They are offered in stores because now you can easily find the desired color and texture of the door slab for your interior and make your home as comfortable as possible. Doors & More gives some advice on how to choose a door by color.
What should the door be successfully combined within the interior?
The most significant difficulty is usually caused by choice of the color of the interior or front door. It is unclear what it should be harmoniously combined with – with the floor, wall decoration, furniture? But what if each of the rooms has its unique interior? There are no strict rules for choosing the color of doors, so you should not drive yourself into a frame. There are only a few valuable guidelines…
1. Focusing on the color of the furniture
When choosing a door slab, you can focus on the color of the furniture installed in the room. But this rule will only work if it is all matched to a single style. This will allow you to play favorably on contrast, for example:
If the furniture in the room is finished in a dark wood look, then the doors should be of the same shade or 1-1.5 tones lighter. This will visually expand the size of the room and make it lighter. The darker the shade of the furniture, the more contrast should be played.
For light furniture made of natural wood, an interior door of a similar light or neutral shade is selected. If we are talking about the entrance structure, focus on your corridor and the cabinet installed.
You can buy an original door with a slabs of two colors from different sides. Such a design will fit well for each of the rooms that it connects. But keep in mind, this is a non-standard option, made to order, which promises additional financial costs.
A win-win solution is to choose a door slab that is similar in color to the furniture. But the shades must match entirely. Otherwise, it will not be possible to achieve a harmonious combination.
2. We take into account the flooring
The second most important parameter when choosing a door color is the floor covering. The main thing is to ensure that the door does not merge with it. To achieve harmony, adhere to the following design tips:
- If the floor in the room is finished using ceramic tiles, then it is advisable to select the shade of the slab to match one of its small elements. This will create a single picture in which the door will not merge with the floor but will not become too clearly in contrast with it.
- If there is wood flooring, the door is matched to the tone but with a different texture. The difference in the direction of the wood fibers will suffice.
- A door of the same tone will suit the floor of a dark shade. If you make too much contrast, it turns out that the door slab does not fit into the interior at all.
It happens that it is impossible to choose a shade that is harmonious for the floor. You can use a universal solution – focus on windows and skirting boards. In this case, the full color must match one or both of the elements.
3. Selection of the door according to the color of the walls in the room
The third guideline for choosing a door can be the decoration of the walls in the room. This is especially true if they are not made in the same color. In this case, it is worth adhering to the following recommendations:
- If all the walls in the room are designed in different colors, then the door should be the minor color in the decor. Ideally, when such a shade plays the role of a frame. It looks beautiful in the hallway.
- You can choose a door with a texture similar to wall decoration for a nursery or bedroom. So that the door merges as much as possible with the adjacent surfaces. This allows you to create an atmosphere of tranquility and comfort in such rooms.
- Doors decorated with stained-glass windows and designer stickers go well with any wallpaper or other wall decoration. It is essential to pay attention not to the shade of the door slab but the theme of the pattern. It should be similar to the interior and overall theme of the room.
- The classic black and white contrast option is always popular. If you have white or very light walls, then a dark door, for example, is suitable for them in Wenge colors.
4. Guideline for general style
The last parameter of choice does not apply to individual interior items and is aimed at the room’s overall style. Here, each shade will have its meaning and influence. It is recommended to take into account:
- The high-tech interior will be perfectly decorated with doors in light colors. You can use a door of a “cold” shade of wood or a door made of artificial material, finished in a metal or bright shade.
- For a bedroom, a door in a “warm” shade is suitable. It should be made of natural wood or with a high-quality polymer coating that has a visible texture.
- For a corridor or kitchen, you can choose a door in a neutral shade. Even bold colors will do, but only if they don’t show apparent fingerprints or dirt.
- If the interior is dominated by red or red shades, the door should also be a “flashy” color. Additionally, it can be decorated with a pattern or sticker.
5. The main rules for choosing colors
When choosing the color of the door, you can take into account the shade of the walls, flooring, or the interior as a whole, but if you still cannot find the best option, then you can adhere to the general design principles:
- A universal solution is neutral colors that do not match in the room with any of the interior items, but at the same time, do not introduce disharmony into the design. More often than others, door leaves are chosen in white, beige, black, or gray.
- You can select the slabs to match the color of the window frame. In this case, the combination of windows and doors will give the impression of completeness.
- You can use stained glass windows, stickers, or exquisite fittings to give the door originality. This will help emphasize the elegance of the door.
The tips for choosing colors described above are suitable for both entrance and interior door slabs. Our consultants can recommend options that will match your interior, and you can buy doors from the comfort of your home. Call us or use the feedback form to get a free consultation.